Given Name Nina
Nina has many different meanings and histories.
Usage: Russian, Italian, English, German, French, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Finnish, Polish, Slovene, Czech, Slovak, Croatian, and Serbian.
Pronounced: NyEE-nƏ (Russian) NEE-na (Italian, German) Nee-nƏ (English), NEE-NA (French), NEE-nah (Finnish), NyEE-na
Meaning and history: short form of names that end in nina, such as Antonina or Giannina. It was imported to Western Europe from Russia and Italy in the 19th century. This name also coincides with the Spanish work niña meaning “little girl”.
Related names (short list): Nena, Ninette, Tajuana, Antonia, Jone, Joanna, Ionna, Johanna, Hanna, Janina, Ivana, Jovana, Hehanne, Juanita, Yana, Siwan
The popularity of the name has dropped to #309 in the United States but in France and Switzerland it’s risen in the past few years with Switzerland being the #7 name.
Nina’s I’m related to:
- Nina BANKS; daughter of Jonas and Naomi (JOHNSON) BANKS.
- Nina Winifred BRYAN; daughter of Lancelotte Harmon and Mary Frances (HILLER) BRYAN
- Nina L. DEVERAUX; daughter of Joseph and Amanda (ABBOT) DEVERAUX.
- Nina E. EVANS; wife to Philip W. JORDAN
- Nina Gladys GOODNOW; daughter of Frank Leslie and Samantha Johnson (MASON) GOODNOW.
- Nina R. JELLISON; daughter of Eugene H. and Florence Fuller (OAKS) JELLISON; wife of William F. Graham.
- Nina Hazel PAGE; daughter of Ralph G. and Linnie V. (ABBOT) PAGE.
- Nina Mae SAWYER; daughter of Asa Samuel and Julianna A. (AMES) SAWYER.
- Nina Rosetta SPRINGER; wife of Harvey E. COLBY.